Monday, November 19, 2007

Everlasting, your light will shine when all else fades

Okay so I grew up in a Christian home, I grew up in a loving family, and my parents were never divorced. I’m so thankful for what God has blessed me with, I cant believe how I let myself think that I was “entitled” to what I had, I cant believe I was so blind to these blessings, a warm bed, a roof over my head, fantastically gracious is my God.

So as a child I wasn’t very interested in church things. And in all honesty it sort of scared me, to see someone so consumed and on fire for God, and I thought, what must I do to be like that. I was a little jealous and I wanted to advance my own selfish ideas and goals for my own life.

But something that Pastor Furtick said that was quite profound to me was that “God saves us all at once, but we change daily.” And suddenly I realized that in order to be Christian I don’t have to be perfect, I just need to love Jesus and walk with him, sure I’m going to mess up but that’s okay, because his saved me. I know this may seem like a simple revelation especially to someone who grew up in the church, but I just didn’t think I knew what God meant when he said he loves me and that he is sending his son to save me. Because my whole Christian walk was based around how I just don’t want to go to hell. And then one day as I was listening to Hillsong’s From the Inside Out my heart was broken and I couldn’t help but cry out. And since then that song has become my anthem as continually/daily Jesus consumes me from the inside out. And my will to survive then became a love for God.


I once heard somewhere (don’t remember from where) that “people don’t respond to love, they respond to action.” And this bothered me, because love is the most powerful action you can take. Look at Jesus, in his love for us, he dies. And his action that he took against his enemies was “forgive them father” he loved them fiercely and he loves me so much he died. I can’t fully grasp this concept it is too much for my selfish mind. All I can do is walk daily with my father and king, and allow him to change me from the inside out. Thank you ALMIGHTY GOD.

- to love you, from the inside out - HS

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Good stuff, Michael! I love that song. And hooray! You came out to eat (with some of us) after tear down! It never fails to be an amusing time.

Gotten Ben back yet? haha.

kelly said...

Good blog, best friend. :]

I've been realizing a lot lately how much I'm blessed with and how much I've taken for granted in the past. You're right: we're pretty selfish.
"From the Inside Out" is one of my favorite songs right now.
Good stuff.

Lindsey said...

hahaha. Well I'll be severely excited to see what Ben has coming to him. :)